If you are looking for a system that can perform tasks much faster before you think, then go for Microsoft Windows 8. As said by the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, the company has replaced the Start Menu with Metro. When you start Windows 8, a lock screen appears which you have to open before entering your credentials. After that, you need to dismiss the Metro interface if you want to access the desktop. In the retail version of Windows 8, it is trouble-free to force Metro into the background. After disabling the lock screen, Windows 8 directly allows you to log in for reboots.
Rather than Metro: Boot to Windows 8
You may have considered that there is no ready-made solution for disabling Metro while booting Windows 8, although the system can be configured by a simple script for every time you run and log in. Simply copy the text below into the notepad and save it as a .bat file.
After you get the script, you can save it anywhere and store it forever. To run the script for log in, you need to create a new task. This can directly be done by the Windows Task Scheduler or by attaching it to the Windows Logon event in the Event Viewer. Checkout steps below:
- Search for Windows’ Event Viewer in Metro’s settings (it appears as “View event logs”).
- Click Windows Logs > Application in the left column to get a list of events in the center.
- Scroll through the list until you see an information event with the source “Winlogon.”
- Right click the Winlogon entry and choose “attach task to this event” to schedule a task.
- Name your task anything you want and click next three times to choose your script.
As the script runs, you don’t have to manually dismiss the metro interface.
Log in Quicker: Disable the Windows 8 lock screen
To log in faster, you can set windows 8 as follows:
- Fire up the Group Policy Editor (search for gpedit.msc via Metro)
- Head to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization
- Double click “Do not display the lock screen” and enable the policy.
- The lock screen will disable
Automatic Log in: Windows 8 account
Following steps make the log in process much quicker:
- Search for netplwiz via Metro
- Uncheck “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”
- Provide your credentials
- Account will load automatically